Home » 2021 Spring » SESSION 3 TEAM AS SUPPORT: summary of April 29th FIG meeting

SESSION 3 TEAM AS SUPPORT: summary of April 29th FIG meeting

Friends:
At our meeting last Thursday we talked the role of the Team Leader and Amy Haas shared
her outline of the Team Leader’s responsibilities with us (see attachment above). Teachers will tweak
this as they need to,  but this is useful clarification to students about what it means to be a Team Leader.
       We shared methods of dealing with inevitable issues that arise in a teamwork setting: when a
Team Leader is awol; when there is less than optimal communication going on within a team.
Can these situations become opportunities?   Can “breakdowns” in a team (big or small) be
the path to a far more meaningful “Breakthrough”?   How?
      At this moment of global crisis, when students do not come through for their teams, whether
they are or are not leading their team, we teach our students to withhold judgment, to ask a question
(“What happened?”  “Are you OK”) and to take initiative in offering support.   Recently I asked
all of my students in a zoom class to write about one way their team had contributed to them
or one way that they had contributed to their team.  We read them all out loud so that everyone
could hear and learn from one another.  It only took a few minutes but I was surprised
and heart warmed by what they wrote (especially about the human warmth provide by teammates
to one another during the pandemic).
     We meet next at 3 pm on May 20 at our link below.
     I am also attaching a questionnaire for students.  I think it will be very productive to compare
notes when it comes to responses to these questions.  Please consider asking your students
to respond to them.   This can be distributed any time that works best for your students before
our meeting May 20.  See my attachment below.        .
                                                                   Warmly,
                                                                      Lea

Meeting ID: 246 101 7952
Host: Lea Fridman
Participant ID: 749635
Passcode: nodoseha12

That would be a breakdown?

TBL (team based learning):

Team QuestionnaireTEAM LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES